GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands, Friday June 14, 2013 – Police say they will make no comment on reports that five charges of theft had been dropped against former premier McKeeva Bush.
“The case against Mr. Bush is now in the courts system and the issues therein may be considered subjudice,” the police said in a brief statement.
“It should also be noted that any decision made in relation to the charges and the framing of the indictments is a matter for the Director of Public Prosecutions Office,” it added.
Cayman 27News reported that it had in its possession a copy of the indictment against Bush “and it clearly shows there are still 11 counts on it. However, none seem to reflect the initial five charges of theft”.
Bush, who was re-elected as a legislator in the May 22 general election, has been charged with two counts of misconduct in a public office, four counts of breach of trust by a member of the Legislative Assembly and five counts of theft.
The police said, last year, that Bush had also been detained in connection with the alleged importation of explosive substances without valid permits on or before February 2012, but the United Democratic Party (UDP) accused the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service of “abuse of official power” as it relates to the former premier.
Bush, 57, who became premier in 2009, has maintained his innocence. He was first arrested in December last year while in office.
Soon after, a lack of confidence motion was declared in the government and the Governor Duncan Taylor revoked Bush’s appointment.
Bush returns to court on June 28.