ST. GEORGE’S, GRENADA Wednesday, May 08, 2013: On Friday April 26th, 2013, the Government of Grenada, led by Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Dr. the Rt. Hon. Keith Mitchell, held its second monthly meeting with the social partners.
Joining the meeting for the first time were representatives the Grenada Conference of Churches who were invited to be a part of the partnership, going forward.
Discussions at the meeting included:
– The 2013 Budget and implementation of the policies and programmes that were announced;
– The rescheduling of retroactive payments to Public Servants;
– Public education on the economic situation on an ongoing basis; and
– National Health Insurance.
The meeting also saw the establishment of two (2) subcommittees, namely:
(1) Wages, Prices and Productivity: This subcommittee will focus on policy issues relating to cost of living, productivity at the workplace and compensation.
(2) Employment and Economic Development: This subcommittee will focus on policy issues relating to taxes, VAT, macro economic development, transportation, airlift and the cost of doing business.
Dr. Mitchell told the meeting that he is encouraged by the commitment shown by the members of the Committee thus far, since it is important that Government and the social partners work together to “ensure that we can face the challenges and bring some serious economic activity and hope to our people.” He reiterated that although the times are challenging, there are tremendous investment opportunities.
The Government and social partners will meet again later this month.