We Mix Business with Pleasure.

WASHINGTON, United States, Wednesday March 13, 2013 – Further dimension was added to diplomatic tensions between the United States and  Venezuela on Monday when the State Department announced that two Venezuelan  diplomats had been expelled.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters that Orlando Jose  Montanez Olivares and Victor Camacaro Mata were declared personae non gratae and  ordered to leave the country in response to Venezuela’s decision to kick out two  US officials last week.

“Around the world, when our people are thrown out unjustly, we’re going to  take reciprocal action. We need to do that to protect our own people,” Nuland  said.

The Venezuelan diplomats’ expulsion came after Caracas said it was expelling  two US Embassy officials and accused them of plotting to destabilize the  country. The move was made by Venezuela mere hours before the announcement of  the death of President Hugo Chavez last week.

“In the day or days that followed there was some pretty heated rhetoric  coming in our direction,” the State Department spokeswoman said.

“I think I called it at one point a page from the old ‘Chavista’ playbook  that we were hoping was going to change. … There is work that we would like to  do together, particularly in the areas of counter-terrorism, counternarcotics,  economics and energy relations, but it’s going to take a change of tone from  Caracas,” she noted.

Camacaro, who worked in the Venezuelan Consulate in New York, and Montanez,  who worked at the Venezuelan Embassy in Washington, have since left the United  States.

The expelled US officials, both of whom were air attaches at the US Embassy  in Caracas, were accused of meeting with members of the Venezuelan military and  encouraging them to pursue “destabilizing projects,” according to Venezuelan  Foreign Minister Elias Jaua.

Nicolas Maduro, then vice president and now Venezuela’s acting head of state,  had also suggested, while criticizing the US Embassy officials last week, that  someone had deliberately infected Chavez with cancer.

The accusations were dismissed by State Department spokesman Patrick  Ventrell.

“This fallacious assertion of inappropriate US action leads us to conclude  that, unfortunately, the current Venezuelan government is not interested in an  improved relationship,” Ventrell said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: