As campaigning for the February 19th, 2013 General Elections intensifies, members of the public are expressing their concerns on several matters in relation to strategies employed by political parties , in particular the National Democratic Congress (NDC) and the New National Party (NNP), and the behavior of some of their supporters.
Complaints reaching the Watch Dog Committee set up by the Civil Society to monitor the Code of Political Conduct include:
- Noise pollution – public address systems beaming out soca music during normal business hours
- Defacing public property – electricity/telephone poles, roundabouts and retaining walls have been defaced by the painting of party slogans and symbols
- Removal of posters – complaints have been received that posters of both parties are being removed
- An advertisement depicting the property of member of Government – members of the public have expressed the view that this advertisement is inappropriate
- Obstruction of traffic by supporters on route to political rallies and supporters throwing stones at each other on route from rallies.
The need to ensure continuing respect for internationally recognized human, civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of all and the adherence to Chapter 1 Section 1 of the Constitution of Grenada, which guarantees the fundamental rights and freedoms to all citizens, including, in Section 1 (b): “Freedom of conscience, of express and of assembly”.
We therefore call on political parties and candidates to ensure that their campaign managers, chairpersons and others to be made aware of these complaints and to refrain from such actions.
All must be mindful that after the election, whatever its outcome, each and every Grenadian should participate in building our nation – Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinque.
February 4th, 2013
Civil Society Organisations
Judy Williams: 444-8430/405-3439
Archdeacon Glasglow, Conference of Churches, Grenada: 440-2169/407-2010
Ms. Hazel Hutchinson, Grenada Chamber of Commerce: 440-2937/535-
Grenada Trade Union Council: Mr. Ray Roberts: 440-3733/414-7203